Objectives and activities
- The society's principal aim is to practise and disseminate the science of gnomonics in Flanders in order to increase and popularise the knowledge and use of sundials and similar instruments.
- For scientific and historical reasons, the society also decided to draw up an inventory of the existing sundials in Flanders. This inventory has been completed and, among other users, is consulted by the department "Monuments & Sites" of the Ministry of the Flemish Community in Belgium.
- In this way, the society wants to contribute to the preservation and the professional restoration of the numerous valuable sundials in Flanders.
- To enable the correct use of sundials, the society will also provide specific and precise information to people wishing to build a sundial themselves (calculation, design and construction).
- The society will also lend assistance to educational projects in which sundials play a significant part.
- Several members of the society also give regular lectures on various aspects of sundials.
- The society also keeps in touch with sundial societies in the French speaking part of Belgium, as well as in Europe and in other parts of the world.
- In order to diffuse and illustrate these objectives and activities, the society publishes a quarterly information bulletin in Dutch, entitled "Zonnetijdingen".